Thursday, July 3, 2008

Ole Super Deutschland

Well it was an exciting finish to the European Soccer (Fußball) Championship. Unfortunately, Germany lost in the final to Spain. In the end, the best team did win, but the Germans put together a spirited effort. Needing a break from the crowd after our Munich trip, we watched the game in the comfort of a flat surrounded by a handful of friends.

Still, it was a rowdy and cultural few weeks in Cologne, something which was exciting to see. As I mentioned in an earlier post, you hardly see a German flag waving anywhere here, but for those few weeks, a German flag was draped over, under, on, in, and around anything you can think of. On game nights, people dressed up in their Deutschland jersey, black, red, and gold clothes, or simply wrapped the flag around their necks and wore it like Superman. Even my American friend Stasha and I got into the act. Notice the lovely face paint we sported during the Portugal match. By the way, the face paint was common attire for the matches. Since I'm not used to wearing it, both cheeks were a black, red, and gold smudge at the end of the night.

Finals are just around the corner, and I have been spending morning and night preparing for the tests. When you study abroad, there is less pressure to get good marks as the grades do not transfer. Basically, all I have to do is pass the classes, and I get credit for them. Therefore, whether I get an A or a C really doesn't matter as it is all the same in the end. That said, my pride and conscience will not let me slack, and I am gearing up to get good marks before I head back to Minny. I have four finals in a three day span, but then I have ten days of nothing before I have to leave Cologne. Needless to say then I don't feel bad hitting the books during the warm summer days.

Speaking of the weather, it has been beautiful in Cologne recently. The tan line on my neck grows more and more comical by the day. I think I may spend those last ten days trying to even it out, but I'm not sure I want to scare away the locals by taking my shirt off in public. I almost died in my flat yesterday. I spent the afternoon in my steamy penthouse (top floor being the only thing "pent" about it) studying in nothing but a pair of gym shorts. One advantage of being up so high and facing the park is that I can see the sky for miles. I could see the impending storm approaching more and more, and I've never wanted rain clouds to come so fast in my life.

The rain stuck around today, which makes sitting in class all day easier and more bearable considering the classrooms are not air conditioned. I've found that when you wear your flipflops in the rain, they are good at just that, flipping the dirty water up onto your body. When I got back to my flat today, I felt like Tommy Boy after his cow tipping episode. I'd write the line, but you all know what he said. :)

Since I was in the classroom for six hours today, I thought I could treat myself to what has become a favorite pastime of internet surfing once I returned to my flat. I start with the two e-mail accounts, then hit up Facebook, move on to ESPN, and then see what news Kare 11, CNN, Star Tribune, and the NYTimes has to offer (repeat). It's a vicious cycle I try to stay away from. I'll throw in the occasional Wikipedia and YouTube if I need some offbeat references to support the news stories I read. If I feel like having a good cry, I'll even look at the checking account, student loans, and credit card statements.

It is amazing how happily one can live on a tight budget. All play and no work (well some work) equals low funds, but you find ways to "dumb" down your life so it isn't too much of a concern. Cooking my own meals (or going to a friend's flat and having them cook for me) and walking/biking has got me extremely far. I try to limit unnecessary purchases as well. I do a pretty good job, but unfortunately my chocolate addiction must be fed on a daily basis. One thing I actually look forward to though is earning a paycheck again.

Speaking of that, I have been in contact with work setting up some logistical things for my return. Issues at home are finding more and more room in my head these days. Determining a living situation, means of transportation, and gearing up for August wedding season are becoming more and more of a reality. That said, I am in no hurry to leave my adopted country, and will continue to enjoy my time to the best of my ability!

No comments: