Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Classes

Classes started this week, and I was excited to see how the classroom experience compared to that in the states and my other study abroad experiences. Before I came to Cologne, I was under the impression that there would only be international students in my classes, but I was wrong. There are actually very few of us. The school offers a limited number of classes in English, and many of the German students appreciate the opportunity to learn in English. I also appreciate the fact that I get to communicate with other German students while in class.

An interesting fact in Germany is that you don't register for most of the classes. You simply just show up, and then at the end of the semester, you register to take the test. This is one of those cultural things that threw me for a loop. I'm so used to registering months in advance. Also, you have suggested readings to go along with the lectures, but nothing that is considered compulsory. In the states, I'm used to having constant deliverables that help you track your progress throughout the course. This is good and bad. Good because it allows you a little more free time during the semester, and bad because it is not uncommon to have 100% of your grade come down to the final test. I've already been warned that the end of the semester here is pretty stressful. Most of the classes I selected though require me to turn in a research paper, and prepare a presentation, which is right up my alley.

I'm taking a total of five courses, all very different from each other. Three of the courses have a focus in political science and how decisions made in the political arena can impact the business world. These classes are smaller, and are generally discussion based, which is what I'm used to in the states. One of the courses, The Political System of the EU, is taught by a French professor. I'm the only native English speaking and American citizen in the class, so you can imagine that a lot of attention is given to my thoughts and impressions. This is a very daunting responsibility. I try to remain very general in my responses and preface that I don't speak for all Americans. Also, my knowledge of the subject matter is not always perfect so I try to speak from my own experiences, not "how it is".

I'm also taking a Strategic Retail Management course. I'm very excited for this course, mainly because I have worked for one of the largest retailers in the world for the past five years. Also, I'm curious to hear European ideas and feedback concerning American retailers. My professor did bring up Target, and asked if anyone had ever been inside a Target. With a huge smile on my face, I raised my hand and said that I actually work for them. He was pretty surprised; I think I threw him a curveball. He asked if I could summarize how Target has changed in the past ten years, which was a little stressful. I'd hate to answer his question incorrectly when my job requires me to be in the know on the company. Luckily, I answered it correctly and was able to dodge the embarrassment of not being able to explain my own company. Staying true to strategy, I never reveal any proprietary information about the company. I stay very general, and tend to not give more information then can be found on Wikipedia. :)

My German classmates always ask me the same question. Why are you here? Why Cologne? They think it's weird that I would choose a non-traditional European city to study abroad in, especially a country where I don't know the language. I always tell them that Germany was the next European country I wanted to visit, the timing was right for my job, the school has a partnership with mine, and I wanted to be in an environment where every day was a challenge (language).

Much of the learning on study abroad programs happens outside of the classroom. Although the courses are great, and the content good, you learn the most about culture and issues out in public. I also feel that you learn about yourself and evolve as an individual much more outside of the classroom. Your mind is constantly firing, trying to figure out simple tasks, like how to grocery shop. In the states, I always tell young undergrads that if they don't study abroad, they are making a huge mistake. It's really important for personal development, in understanding the world outside of the US, and for just plain having fun.

Based on what I've written so far, you can see that I have become the focal point of many of my classes; mainly because I like to talk in the classroom, but also because I bring diversity and experience to the table. Most of the students have very little to no work experience, which I am very unaccustomed to participating in the MBA program at Carlson. I like being the working American in the class though. It's an easy way to meet people, and I feel extremely valued. I have had multiple students approach me after class to strike up conversations which is cool.

Overall, I've tried to take courses that are heavy in discussion and rapport. I feel that's the best way to learn as opposed to having someone stand in front of class, read off a bunch of information, and then have you regurgitate it at the end. This format allows multiple ideas to be shared throughout the course. It also gives you a better understanding of backgrounds, and helps you make friends. I like what I've experienced so far, and feel the educational value will be quite significant come the end of the semester.

No comments: