Sunday, April 27, 2008

Sense of Direction

Almost a month has passed by here in Cologne, and still my sense of direction escapes me at times. For example, a quick run through the park earlier this week turned into a 3 hour "Where's Waldo" adventure. Granted the park is extremely large and wooded, but you would think that an hour walking aimlessly through the highway of paths and trees would result in me finding a sign that says "Nick Curtis ----->". Ok, maybe not that obvious, but only the man upstairs and the trees of Stadtwald Park will be able to perfectly recite the choice words of my experience. Luckily for me I was able to recoup, find my way home, shower, and get to class where I was saved by the bell.

Unfortunately, my next example doesn't involve me, but some poor German trying to find his way around Cologne. It was a Wednesday night, and I just got off the Tram towards the center of town. I was walking for about a block before a German guy approached me speaking the native language. I gave my standard deer in headlights look, and held my hand up to my mouth and moved it back and forth. I said the word English and unluckily for him, he knew English and asked if I knew where the Aaechener Str was. Now in my head I thought, ok I have this one figured out. I have frequented that street, and it is a major road that shoots through the middle of Cologne. Without skipping a beat, I quickly pointed my finger and said, "it's one block that way!"

Words can't describe the feeling I had when I actually helped a German of all people find their way in Cologne. That excitement was quickly destroyed when I turned around and discovered that it was actually one block in the completely opposite direction. Before I realized my mistake, the poor guy had already crossed the road and was making a bee-line for Siberia. Ironically, I was actually walking to the Aaechener Str myself, and had been on that street about every day of my trip so far. The hand symbol I described earlier means to laugh in sign language. Thinking back on it, maybe the guy should have given it to me.

I had a similar experience the next day while standing on the bus stop waiting for the 136. Again, the individual approached me in German, and again I repeated the deer in headlights / laughing in sign language response. He too knew how to speak English, and said he was trying to find a friend in Lindenthal. I explained that I lived in Lindenthal, and would be able to help him to the best of my ability. He politely declined, and said that I wouldn't know where to send him. Thinking back on it, the guy was right. I probably would have put him on a train to Moscow.

So, directional disasters aside, it was another great week in Cologne. The sun shined a bit more, and it felt good not to wear a coat for the first time since Sept. I also found a way to be a little entrepreneur. One of my professors asked the class if there were any native English speakers that would be willing to take a look at the English version of his website. Since I am the only one that is a native English speaker, I raised my hand. He wanted to pay me for my time, but I offered my services in exchange for the case study packets to each of his two courses I am taking. That's roughly a $70 value, which isn't bad for the four hours of work I put in. The previous week, a German friend asked me to critique the paper he had to write in English. My cash cow has arrived. I'll charge 10 Euro per paper, and 15 Euro per presentation. If only I could advertise that in German. Nah, I would have done it for free. I have the time, and it is always nice to feel needed when you are the one that needs tending to every day.

This weekend was a bit interesting. Friday was the big semester party at the Mensa, which is the main eating facility on campus. The party stretched three levels, had four different rooms playing four different types of music, and about 4000 students. Very fun. That was followed by an 8 am alarm going off and telling me that it was time to go to Phantasialand.

Phantasialand is basically Camp Snoopy on steroids. The nice thing was it was outside, so my pasty white skin was able to begin the annual fashion statement called a farmers tan. Apparently it was discount day, which combined with the nice weather and the fact that it was a Saturday meant hoards of people and screaming kids. The people watching didn't quite rival the state fair, but there were flashes of entertainment here in there. The interesting thing to note is that the mullet is VERY much in style in Europe - no kidding! It's the 80's all over the place here, and Saturday didn't disappoint. My personal favorites were the guys that had the sides shaved close, the hair spiked and frosted on top, with the complimentary frosted tail in the back.

Anyways, the rides were fun, but utterly painful to wait for. We waited in line for 80 minutes at one ride, and it lasted no longer then 2 minutes. Buaaaahhh. The pic is of me getting ready for the 4D movie. The entire 10 minute show was in German, so obviously I understood very little. From what my friends tell me, I didn't miss much. I thought the effects were cool though.

After nine hours of Phantasialand, I was ready to take my shoes off and veg in a chair. Besides having little sleep and extreme sun exposure, I was with eight Germans all day who were obviously speaking German. My brain and body were fried, and I crashed pretty hard on Saturday night.

Other then that, not much new to report. I feel like I'm learning a lot, and I'm still highly enjoying my life. I read the news and saw the pictures of the snow MN received yesterday. I feel for you people, but I quickly get over it.

No comments: