Thursday, June 19, 2008

Battle of the Bulge

Back home, a lot is said about the size of our bodies and Americans in general. Although we have our fair share of fit Americans, the stereotype is unfortunately true. Our European counterparts beat us out in the weight category. This has been proven throughout the various countries I have visited over the past seven years. Our closest competitors may be the English, but we still have the upper hand. Our European friends like to poke fun at it, and I try to avoid the conversation all together.

This issue has been brought to light by news stories, the rising cost of health care, and pop culture material such as the documentary "Super Size Me". All of which look at various reasons why there is such a difference. Is it the portion size of our meals? Our lifestyles? The type of food we eat? The preservatives inside the food? Hereditary reasons? I really don't know. I wish I could put a finger on it for everyone, but it remains a mystery to me.

I think the easy way out is to say it is hereditary. This excuse has always bothered me the most. I recently came across a factoid where German constitutes the largest percentage of ancestry in MN at around 38%, with the Norwegians coming in a distant second at around 17%. This tells me that I would expect to see similar type bodies here in Germany as I would back home. That is unless our DNA mutated while crossing the Atlantic. Unfortunately, that is not the case. The faces look familiar, the bodies do not.

Foreigners like to point out that we are a fast food nation based on books that have been published and the already mentioned documentary. To be honest, I see just as many McDonald's, Burger Kings, Subways, and KFC's (yes KFC) here as I do back home, and when I look inside, I see just as many people. The portions are the same size as well, although you don't see the super size option here (could be that I just don't know how to read that on the menu).

I do notice a difference in portion sizes here and there, particularly with deserts. Ice cream stands rarely go beyond one scoop, and packaging in grocery stores is generally smaller, thus containing less product to consume. If you are ever bored, check out some studies on packaging size and consumption. We consume product at the same rate disregarding packaging size. Something to the think about next time you want to save 20 cents by buying the family sized package.

Ok, portion size may be one factor, but there still isn't enough there to convince me that is the root cause of our flabbiness. Looking at portion size and the type of food we eat there may be something there as well. Most Europeans start their day off with a light breakfast, which typically consists of some type of bread with spread and either coffee or tea. Lunch usually consists of some type of baguette, which often leaves out the fatty sauces and spreads we tend to lather on our sandwiches. To our defense, the spreads they use are either Nutella, which even though is spectacularly delicious, is nutritionally worse then peanut butter (I think), and REAL butter, not the fake stuff. Also, German meals are heavy in meat, potatoes, and veggies swimming in some type of gravy or sauce.

So, to say the type of food we eat is the main culprit may not be entirely accurate. The question of preservatives is way over my head so I can't comment on that. Maybe the size of the US forces us to inject more into our food to allow it to flow through the entire supply chain and onto the shelf. That is just speculation though, I really don't know.

Many like to point fingers at our sedentary lifestyle. I could see that argument just by analyzing my own life. I start off my day by sitting in my car and driving to work, followed by sitting at my desk for 9 hours (including eating lunch at my desk), followed by eating dinner while sitting in my car and driving to school, followed by sitting in a chair in a classroom for 3 hours and 20 minutes, followed by sitting in my car and driving home, followed by sitting on my couch and watching a little TV, followed by laying in my bed, and only getting 6 hours of sleep. Add on top of that the stress of performing at work, in school, and at home, none of which equals a healthy body. I like to workout, but I often find myself too tired at times to get to the gym.

I have never worked in a foreign country, so I can't compare what the work week and life are like compared to the states. Obviously, technology has made things a lot easier for everyone, and in many fields has required us to do less physically. I will say though that I see more people walking and on bikes throughout Europe then I do at home. I'll even see pregnant ladies tooling around on beach cruisers worthy of a Peewee Herman film.

I think there are many reasons for that. First, European cities are often more concentrated, making the bike the most efficient means of travel. The population density, tight streets, limited parking space, and growing earth consciousness throughout the continent make having a car, a large car anyways, almost a nuisance.

Still, I have found myself walking distances on this trip that would be laughable in MN. It would be the equivalent of me walking from my door step in St Louis Park to Calhoun Square to meet friends for a couple drinks. Socially that is awkward, and I would be considered odd back home. For some reason though it makes sense here. I think I'll find myself walking more, investing in a bike, and taking the stairs more often when I return home.

One thing I do defend about Americans though is that we are not lazy. Although I do have growing motivational concerns about a large part of our population (particularly college grads), our society is constantly searching for ways to create, innovate, and be leaders in all fields. You often see these qualities in managers throughout the workplace, which is why they serve as such great role models.

I always get a kick out of people across the pond who want to work less and make more money. They usually come back with the argument "yeah but I work more efficiently." I say that it is your job to work more efficiently. In fact we should be trying to figure out how to work more efficiently in order to decrease costs and maximize profits. If that isn't at the core, or at least a main part of what you are doing, then you won't find yourself at the higher position.

All things considered, I can't put my finger on what it is that separates Americans from the rest of humanity in the weight category. I'll take the easy route and say that it is a combination of things. I do think our portions could be smaller, the type of food we eat healthier, and our lifestyles more active. Personally, my body feels better then it has in a long time, and my pants aren't as tight as when I first arrived in Cologne (I am excited to try on my work pants when I return home). Then again, I have time to be on my feet more often, and my stress level isn't anywhere near where it is at home. In the end, it is in the individual's hands to grab the issue, and change it for the better. Be aware though, the difference between cultures is there.

No comments: