Friday, June 13, 2008

Election Mania

Who are you going to vote for? That seems to be the primary question whenever I meet a German for the first time in Cologne, or any international while traveling. I don't understand your political system? That seems to be the second question.

Although I agree with the second question, I obviously tread lightly when answering the first question. I try to defend both candidates, calling out their strengths and weaknesses. My response every time is that I really don't know (which is the truth by the way). What I am honest about is that the next president should hopefully be an improvement from the previous. That is as far as I let my political opinions fly.

In an ideal world, I tell them that if I could take McCain's experience and anti neo conservative approach and mesh it together with Obama's charisma, youth, and speaking abilities, we'd have one heck of a president. Unfortunately, that is not possible, so we'll have to choose one, and hope things turn out for the better.

I don't think they ask me these questions because they are looking to form an opinion about me. I think they are just plain interested in the outcome of the next election. Particularly because of all that has (and has not) happened in the past eight years.

One thing is clear, if Germany had any electoral votes, they would all go to Obama. Even when he was running against Clinton, you would only see his face on the magazines and newspapers in Cologne, and Eastern Europe. Hilary wasn't even a consideration which is surprising considering that Germany has a female chancellor, and Bill is highly regarded throughout Europe. I guess people over here seem to be more interested in something new as opposed to the same old same old of the last 20 years.

People back home and Americans I meet abroad are always very interested in how people outside of the states treat me. To be honest, most people I meet over here could care less that I'm from the states. Of course you always meet the one person who thinks that they have everything figured out and signal America as the bully. These people are few and far between though, and are generally just asses. You can find them in MN too. It has nothing to do with where they are from, just their personality.

One comment that seems universal is that people abroad like Americans, but hate our president. I've had two foreigners from different countries tell me at different points in time that ten years ago, everyone wanted to travel to the states. It was still seen as a great place to visit and live. Now, that feeling isn't there anymore. They feel unwelcome, and would rather travel elsewhere.

This is really sad to me because Americans have such little contact with our friends across the pond. I feel that one way to grow and understand is to expose yourself to various people and places. Putting up walls breaks down relationships. Working together, collaboration, is key to understanding.

Ok enough of that political jargon. I wanted to follow up on Germany's performance so far in the European Championship. On Tuesday, Deutschland downed Poland 2-0. I watched the game with a group of my German friends, which was quite the cultural experience. We watched the game on the Zulpicher Str which is a popular street here in Cologne lined with many bars, pubs, and clubs. They had to close down the street to traffic because there were so many people there!

I have to give credit to the five people from Poland that were in the bar I was in, and their attempt to cheer louder then the German folk. Every time they opened their mouths though, the Germans quickly sang louder then them.

After the game, people from the various drinking establishments emptied out into the street and started singing and chanting. I was quickly yanked into a particular cheer where everyone has to kneel on the ground, and once the drunk guy with the megaphone says the magic words, everyone jumps up into the air, bouncing up and down, and singing a particular song. So there I was, stone cold sober, wearing flip flops, jumping up and down with a bunch of random Germans. The picture is the scene of the crime. It is hard to see since it was late at night, but if you click on it, it should expand and give you a better idea.

Unfortunately, Germany lost their second match last night 2-1 to Croatia. They have one more match against Austria, and they have to win to qualify for the next round. I'd hate to see how people react if they should lose. Then again, I'd hate to see how they’d react if they win!

No comments: